Friday, June 06, 2008

Amanda Hughen

In my work, I layer geometric shapes until the forms reach a critical mass, creating a release of energy, or an uncontrolled viral growth, like a scientific experiment gone awry. Single geometric shapes are repeated until they mutate into exploding swarms. The resulting form is ambiguous: is it an aberrant island viewed from above, a blossoming virus, a microscopic map of the brain, or a flower from some science-fiction realm?

I work on both sides of translucent mylar, using pencil, ink, and acrylic paint. I make the first layers in the works using architectural templates, rulers, and screenprinting. The remaining layers are made with freehand drawing and painting, mimicking and elaborating on the tool-made marks.

I am fascinated by the process of beginning with a single geometric shape and ending up with an organic, moving, unidentifiable entity.


No comments: