Thursday, October 09, 2008

Matthew Feyld-Interview

Full Name: Matthew Feyld
Nickname: (In grade 5) Mathematician Matt
Location: Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
URL(s) http://matthewfeyld.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/driftwould/
http://wheattoast.org/artists/matthew-feyld

So, can you tell me a little about yourself? full name, some backround info, etc
My name is Matthew Feyld, I live and work in Saskatoon Sk.

How did you get started doing art?
I remember spending the afternoons with my aunty, who is a spectacular wildlife artist, and trying to draw animals like her. My family was always fairly supportive of my art making, but I'd say my aunty had a huge impact on my art. She recently told me she still has all my old animal drawings.


Describe your creative process.
I keep a little journal that I write down alot of the things I see when I'm out and about. Colors, shapes, gestures, and just random thoughts. Sometimes a drawing is born from some of these scrawlings, but most of the time i just sit down, with nothign really planned out.

Tools of the trade? Favorite medium?
paper, pens, watercolor, gouache, acrylic, and ink, canvas, wood. Lately I've really been into just working with pencil on paper, and acrylic on panel.

How do you describe your work?
men, sometimes bears, sometimes birds, sweaters, v-neck shirts, bold fields of color, and boots.


What products, prints, books etc do you have coming out this year or are out?
I've been working on a couple T-shirt designs for Imperfect Collectibles. One of my drawings was recently published in the Sept Issue of The Walrus Magazine, based here in Canada. Also I will have a drawing or 2 in a zine titled (NUMBER A), based in Argentina.


What inspires you?
Walking, silence, vintage sweaters, old toys, thrift store trinkets, music, road trips, my friends, bodies of water, trees, skatebaording, my cat, my girlfriend.

What's on your desk/workspace right now?
my cat Worm, a ceramic owl, alot of loose sheets, pens, paints, and a Dr. Pepper.


Any words of wisdom for young artist?
draw, draw, draw, take a walk, draw, draw, draw.

What is one thing every artist should do in your opinion to become a better artist?
never stop.

Do you keep a sketchbook? How often do you draw in it?
I have a couple sketch books. Though I never finish sketch books, I seem to forget them places, or loose them. So I tend to just draw on loose sheets. I go to my studio to paint, and work on larger pieces, but when im at home I just draw.

What is your favorite piece of art work that you wished you had done?


Brendan Cass
Crystal Canyon, 2004
67x90"
Acrylic on canvas

I find his work very inspiring.

Favorite band(s)?
Oh thats a tough one. The Silver Apples, Roky Erickson, Jonathan Richman, Iggy Pop, Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart, Neil Young, Little Wings, Young Marble Giants, Daniel johnston, The Smiths, Patti Smith, theres way to many to name.

Favorite artist(s)?
Oh thats also a really tough one. There are far to many to name, I'm sorry.

Favorite thing to do when you aren't doing art?
Taking photos, riding my bike, pampering my cat, watching movies, hanging out with my girlfriend.


Favorite books, magazines, blogs....?
Favorite book of all time. Alligator Pie by: Dennis Lee.

What do you have coming up, projects, shows, etc?
I've got work in a four person show that just opened (Sept 5th) at Grasshut Gallery in Portland. Group show coming up in October at Giant Robot NYC Then I'm getting ready for my solo show at Thinkspace Gallery in March of 09, and my solo show in late May of 09 at Krets in Malmo Sweden.

Ultimate Goals?
I'd like to make some large scale works in the near future, I think i need some projects to get me through the Saskatchewan Winter.

Shoutouts?
All my friends, the ones I've met, and the ones I haven't.