Thursday, April 24, 2008

Kris Knight

Kris Knight

Born 1980
Works and Lives in Toronto, Canada

“Within my professional practice as a visual artist, I have concentrated on the creation of thematic series of figurative works, with narratives that explore various expressions of duality and test the boundaries of identity. The visual compositions I create examine notions of performance inherit in all constructions of identity, whether sexual or asexual.

My project’s themes have often dealt with ambiguity and androgyny, with an emphasis on the notion of hiding and fronting. The portraits I paint are often a balancing act of concealing identities and desperately wanting to let it go.

My work involves the creation of invented and biographical character-based narratives that attempt to find an awkward balance between pretty and menace - an often sad but spirited personal dichotomy that has always appealed to me as a figurative artist and continues to influence my current artistic endeavors”.

No comments: