Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Scot Lefavor- Interview



Full Name:
Scot Lefavor
Location: Colorado
URL(s): www.scotlefavor.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotlefavor/


So, can you tell me a little about yourself? full name, some backround info, etc
Hi, I'm Scot Lefavor. I live and work in Denver, CO. I went to the Hartford Art School for graphic design and printmaking. I like pizza, track bikes and long walks in the mountains.

How do you describe your work?
Bold colors, bold lines, social commentary, political, lot's of type, lot's
of references to advertising, design and current news.

Day job?
Yeah, I should get one of those.


What's on your desk right now?
I actually just cleaned it. But there are some deco markers, a paint brush, my old ass computer, my old ass scanner and printer, rolling papers and the Factastic Book of Comparisons (which is fucking awesome)

What is your creative process? What mediums do you work in and which one do you enjoy the most?
I work in a few different mediums. My paintings are done in spraypaint and enamel on panel. Sometimes I do gel-medium transfer pieces and sometimes I screenprint. I enjoy it when I get to my outlines and I've had the perfect amount of coffee to keep em straight.


You seem to have developed a pretty unique style. How did this all come about, or do you even know?
I do actually! It was in printmaking class, about 10 years ago. I was doing lithography but I wanted the prints to look like screenprints with big fields of color. To transfer the image onto the plate I had to put iron oxide on the back of the paper and use a pen to trace the lines onto the plate. Not only to not have any sketch lines but to also have perfect registration with the colors and the trapping. I use that same process today.


What about your experience with the Manifest hope, the DNC and anything else that happened that week in Denver?
Yeah, that was quite the eventful week. I got to meet some really amazing people and was really honored to be part of that show. It's such a huge moment in American history. Never before has a presidential candidate had an art show inspired by them. It was pretty amazing stuff. He's also the only candidate to have an arts policy. It is truly an interesting time right now. Things could really get better or way worse. Seeing so many people so hopeful was very inspiring. It was great having the DNC in Denver. It was great for people to see that this isn't so much a "cow town" but more like a great city full of really talented creative people. Our city is definitely movin on up and it's dope to see more and more artists and more and more shows every weekend.


Do you have a favorite piece you have created? Why is it your favorite?
There is this print I did my senior year about plane crashes. I'm a little afraid of height and it is just a great metaphor for alot of things. I used stock market quotes from the Wall St. Journal in the background, mostly just for aesthetics sake. 3 days later was Sept 11th. It was all pretty creepy. I didn't show that one for a little while. It's my favorite becuase of the timing and because it was the first of a style that I've grown into.

What do you want to achieve with your work?
Well, to get things out there the most direct way I know how while developing a certain personalized aesthetic. Exposing emotions I guess. Hopefully some folks relate to them.

Influences?
Lichtenstein (most influencial), Mike Giant, Coop, Hecox, Barbara Kruger, old pulp fction books, advertising (varying decades), vintage packaging, tasty typography, my friends....etc.etc.etc.

What products, prints, books etc do you have coming out this year or are out?
Working on getting a bunch of prints out in the next year. They will be up on my website. I have an "Obama for Change" poster there now and a "Ride a Fucking Bike" print coming soon. I don't have any books coming out but I sure would like to make some zines. I'd also like to design silly things like coasters, lamp shades, switch plates, shower curtains... you know, up the commerce a bit. I like to collect odd little trinkets myself so I was thinking it would be sorta cool to make alot of shit like that. Some of the Etsy sites I've seen have been really inspiring, like, duh, why didn't I think of that? I'll probably just be making more paintings though. I'll keep you posted on
that.


Do you keep a sketchbook? How often do you draw in it?
I haven't had a sketchbook in a while. I have a blackbook, but that pretty much just serves as a tablet for my b&w line art. It's all very planned, not at all intuitive or progressive. When I travel, I usually start sketch books. I've got a few good ones from my gypsy past!

Future plans?
I'd like to live in Paris... that'd be rad. For some reason I've always wanted to live there. I've never been there.

Shoutouts?
Haha, This could totally be a huge rambling list like in the liner notes of a new hip hop group! However, I didn't cut a record so I'll just shout one. Cypher13 killed it for their Soft&Furry show at Plastic Chapel. That shit was brilliant!

Favorite band(s)?
Hot Water Music, Fugazi, People Under the Stairs, Archers of Loaf, Superchunk, Atmosphere, At the Drive-In, Pixies, Beatles, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Tommy Guerrero, The Sea and Cake, Bob Marley, Creadence, De La Soul, Hiero, Dinosaur Jr., Hendrix...

Favorite thing to do when you aren't doing art?
Ride my bike or snowboard with my friends. I really like going to the movies. Go-Karts are pretty sweet too.

Favorite books, magazines, blogs....?
I read the news alot and arty mags like Hi-Fructose and what's that other one... oh, yeah, Juxtapoz. JoyEngine, Change the Thought, and this blog kickass. Catcher In the Rye has always been my favorite book. Any book that includes charts, graphs, or diagrams in there I'm way into.

Some samples you would like to show..or other photo etc....
I'll dig something up or you can just pick something off my site... I've got some new photos in the store section.


This was fun to do man, thanks for having me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Scot is an awesome artist